Welcome to our blog about life with six alpaca "fiber boys" in the Colorado foothills! We post once a week, usually on the weekend, when life slows down to sweet, slow dance. ~ Gib & Lisa

Sunday, October 28, 2012


I've made a very difficult decision ~ I am going to give away my "boys."  As much as I love the alpacas, I just don't have enough time for them anymore.  I thought I could do it all ~ teach school, raise alpacas, spin and weave, write a blog, hike, help my husband with his new business venture, save an old schoolhouse, travel ~ but I cannot.

Not only do I not have enough time, I just cannot go through another summer like the last one ~ seeing my friends' homes burn down, and worrying, worrying, worrying about our barn full of animals.  The horse loads in the trailer easily, but how could I get six boys in there fast enough if a wildfire were eminent?  The horse would walk right into the nearby lake if needed, but would the boys?  The horse could take care of herself if we had no choice but to turn her loose ~ what would happen to the boys if I had to turn them out?  

We went through one evacuation fairly easily, but that's because someone was watching over us, and we had plenty of advance notice.  I don't want to risk it again.

So, this is the end of a decade-plus of living with and loving my boys.  I have enjoyed it all, but know the best thing for all of us is to let them have a new home (or homes), out of the wildfire zone. 

That means the end of this blog as well.  To my faithful readers, thank you. 


  1. So sorry to see you go, I've enjoyed reading the blog. It does sound like a very difficult decision to make, and I wish you with very best. Thanks for sharing with us! Take care and good luck!

  2. I am so sorry you have had to be put in a position to make this decision. I do know it was not an easy one for you and i also know the stress you have been under due to fires and limited time. I hope you find good homes for all the boys and I will miss them!